Prepared by the Office of the Presidential Spokesperson
August 13, 2010
Maria Lourdes Aranal Sereno was born on July 2, 1960 in Manila. She graduated from the Ateneo de Manila University with a degree in A.B. Economics in 1980. She obtained her Bachelor of Laws (Cum Laude, Class Valedictorian) from the University of the Philippines College of Law (1984). She has a Master of Laws from the University of Michigan Law School (1993).
A Faculty Member of the Philippine Judicial Academy since 2000, she has taught Civil Law, Negotiable Instruments Law, and International Trade Law. She was Faculty at the Hague Academy of International Law, Cambodia in November 2004. She is currently Executive Director of the Asian Institute of Management Policy Center.
She was a TOWNS (Ten Outstanding Women in the Nation’s Service) Awardee for Law in 1998. She was co-counsel with Justice Florentino P. Feliciano, of the Fraport Case before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes in Washington, D.C. and the PIATCO Case before the International Chamber of Commerce-International Court of Arbitration, Singapore. Both cases were resolved in favor of the Republic of the Philippines.
She was appointed Associate Justice of the Supreme Court by President Benigno S. Aquino III on August 13, 2010. She is his first appointment to the Supreme Court.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- DPWH project briefer: Flood management master plan for Metro Manila and surrounding areas
- LightEd PH campaign aims to improve learning for underprivileged students
- Government supports study for rapid, cost effective detection of Salmonella in meat products
- DPWH-NCR road repair schedule for July 31-August 3
- Photo release: NEDA participates in metro-wide simultaneous earthquake drill
- Six Mindanao provinces top national competitiveness ranking