December 10, 2010 press released prepared by the Department of Education
Members of the Department of Education (DepEd) National Employees Union (NEU) have renewed their commitment to support the leadership of Secretary Armin Luistro during their national conference in Tagaytay.
“We, the employees and teaching force of DepEd, support the appointment of Brother Armin (Luistro) as Secretary of Education,” said DepEd NEU President Atty. Domingo Alidon. “We believe that under his leadership we can continue to achieve the goals we have set for the Filipino children.”
In their letter of support, the 40,000 strong non-teaching personnel of DepEd expressed their recognition of “the efforts of the DepEd Management headed by Secretary Br. Armin Luistro in promoting a harmonious and progressive union-management relation towards achieving quality education.”
They also called on “all DepEd employees, concerned citizenry and all other stakeholders to support Secretary Br. Armin Luistro in his effort to lead the DepEd family.”
It can be remembered that the union previously opposed the appointment of Luistro citing several reasons.
“But that was before we had him evaluated using the five union parameters for an education secretary,” explained Alidon.
The parameters are: no politicking, professional management of DepEd, respect for the right to public sector unionism, transparency in all transactions in DepEd, and continuation of good programs and projects initiated by previous secretaries.
“He passed our criteria and we, not just the non-teaching personnel but all the teachers as well, are 100% behind him,” Alidon added.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Palace Strongly Reiterates Call For Ceasefire
- Press Conference Of PCO Secretary Martin Andanar, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella And Socioeconomic Planning Secretary And Director General Of The National Economic And Development Authority Dr. Ernesto M. Pernia
- Press Conference of Sec. Andanar, Spokesperson Abella, Sec. Sueno and Commissioner Faeldon
- Press Conference of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (August 21, 2016)
- From The Office Of The Presidential Spokesperson On the UN executive to PH
- La Mesa Dam Alert #2