Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology
Tsunami Bulletin No. 3
11 March 2011
TSUNAMI ALERT CANCELLATION
A strong distant earthquake occurred NEAR COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN at 1:46 PM, 11 MARCH 2011 (Philippine Time), located at 38.2 N, 142.5 °E with depth of 24 km and a preliminary magnitude of 8.9. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center sea level monitoring stations confirmed the occurrence of a tsunami. At 3:30 PM 11 March 2011, PHIVOLCS issued a bulletin with Tsunami Alert Level 2 in areas along the coast of the Philippines fronting the Pacific Ocean, stating that the concerned public is advised to be on alert for unusual tsunami waves.
PHIVOLCS has received reports of sea level data from the National Mapping Resource Information Authority (NAMRIA), indicating minor sea level changes or the arrival of unusual waves in some areas in the Philippines starting at 6:00 PM up to 10:10 PM with a reported maximum wave height ranging from 0.20 m to 0.70 m.
The current trend of observed wave heights suggests that the threat of a hazardous tsunami has passed. However, the public is still advised to avoid going to the beach and sailing out to the sea. Boat operators at sea should coordinate with the local port authorities to check if unusual currents have stopped for them to be able to dock safely.
This will be the last bulletin issued for this event.
Share on social media
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
More from the Briefing Room
- Statement: The Presidential Spokesperson on the 5th death anniversary of President Corazon C. Aquino
- Overeseas Voter Registration Center is open at the Commission on Filipinos Overseas
- DFA Tacloban resumes operations, extends passport releasing to September 30, 2014
- DOH-MIMAROPA prioritizes health programs for PWD in the region
- Statement: Secretary Roxas on the capture of Said Giad alias “Maestro”
- CSC supports review of Code of Conduct for State Workers
- DA Photo Release: Rebuilding efforts continue
- DBM: DAP did not deprive government employees their salaries, bonuses
- DepEd, NHA turn over 1,000 new classrooms to regions III, IV, NCR
- DOLE augments contingency team to assist in repatriation of OFWs from Libya
- DOH statement on the nation’s health
- Secretary Deles: Bangsamoro Basic Law to respect IP rights