Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology
Tsunami Bulletin No. 3
11 March 2011
TSUNAMI ALERT CANCELLATION
A strong distant earthquake occurred NEAR COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN at 1:46 PM, 11 MARCH 2011 (Philippine Time), located at 38.2 N, 142.5 °E with depth of 24 km and a preliminary magnitude of 8.9. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center sea level monitoring stations confirmed the occurrence of a tsunami. At 3:30 PM 11 March 2011, PHIVOLCS issued a bulletin with Tsunami Alert Level 2 in areas along the coast of the Philippines fronting the Pacific Ocean, stating that the concerned public is advised to be on alert for unusual tsunami waves.
PHIVOLCS has received reports of sea level data from the National Mapping Resource Information Authority (NAMRIA), indicating minor sea level changes or the arrival of unusual waves in some areas in the Philippines starting at 6:00 PM up to 10:10 PM with a reported maximum wave height ranging from 0.20 m to 0.70 m.
The current trend of observed wave heights suggests that the threat of a hazardous tsunami has passed. However, the public is still advised to avoid going to the beach and sailing out to the sea. Boat operators at sea should coordinate with the local port authorities to check if unusual currents have stopped for them to be able to dock safely.
This will be the last bulletin issued for this event.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Palace Strongly Reiterates Call For Ceasefire
- Press Conference Of PCO Secretary Martin Andanar, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella And Socioeconomic Planning Secretary And Director General Of The National Economic And Development Authority Dr. Ernesto M. Pernia
- Press Conference of Sec. Andanar, Spokesperson Abella, Sec. Sueno and Commissioner Faeldon
- Press Conference of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (August 21, 2016)
- From The Office Of The Presidential Spokesperson On the UN executive to PH
- La Mesa Dam Alert #2