A June 17, 2011 press release by the Department of Public Works and Highways
Infrastructure projects for Region 1 under the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) CY 2011 infrastructure program are focused on the rehabilitation and improvement of national arterial and secondary national roads along the Manila North Road (MNR) to speed up mobility.
DPWH Region 1 has about 80 infrastructure projects under the CY 2011 General Appropriations Act (GAA), most of them are intended for the rehabilitation and widening of Manila North Road from Pangasinan to La Union, Ilocos Sur, and Ilocos Norte.
To date, of the 80 projects in Region 1, 13 projects have been completed, 18 are ongoing and the remaining projects are for implementation.
DPWH Region 1 Director Veniedo O. Reyes said that this is consistent with the President Benigno S. Aquino III’s national development thrust and Secretary Rogelio L. Singson’s policy and strategy of upgrading the quality and safety features of the national roads and bridges.
According to Director Reyes, the completion of three major bridges, namely Bagulin Bridge along San Fernando -Bagulin Road; Banela Bridge along San Nicolas-San Quintin-Umingan Pangasinan-Guimba,Nueva Ecija Road, and the Aluling Bridge in Cervantes Ilocos Sur will interconnect the inner municipalities of the Ilocos Region.
The Aluling Bridge, which is expected to be completed this year 2011, will also connect Region 1 to Mountain Province of the Cordilleras.
The project will facilitate easy movement of people, goods, and services from the highlands to Candon City in Ilocos Sur.
Meanwhile, to mitigate flooding and relieve the anxiety of the stricken communities in eastern Pangasinan, which had been devastated by previous typhoons particularly Ondoy and Pepeng, Director Reyes personally monitors the progress of activities and quality of works of completed and ongoing restoration/rehabilitation of major flood control projects along the Agno River.
The flood control projects are part of the Post Ondoy Pepeng Short-Term Infrastructure Rehabilitation Projects (POPSTIRP) under loan agreement between the Government of the Philippines and the Japan International Cooperation Agency.
“We should not let great devastation happen again, that’s why, we in the DPWH Region 1 are very strict in the implementation of rehabilitation works and inspections are being done regularly,” said Director Reyes.
Joining Director Reyes in his inspection at the ongoing restoration and rehabilitation of the flood control structures along Talingkapor Dike in Santa Maria East, San Nicolas, and Sitio Departe, Barangay Bantog, Asingan are Agno Flood Control Project Director Edgardo C. Paragas, OIC-District Engineer Emmanuel W. Diaz of Pangasinan 3rd District Engineering Office and Regional Maintenance Chief Cornelio G. Amita.
Share on social media
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
More from the Briefing Room
- [English] Benigno S. Aquino III, fifth State of the Nation Address, July 28, 2014
- BIR reminds importers and customs brokers of July 31 accreditation deadline
- DOE updates on power restoration after Typhoon Glenda as of July 25, 2014
- Statement: The Deputy Presidential Spokesperson on the week of July 21-25, 2014
- Decorated general assumes office as government ceasefire chief
- DepEd is committed to enhancing the quality of basic education
- DILG to relocate informal settlers to safer communities
- DOH recognizes Typhoon Yolanda heroes
- POEA allows exemptions for OFW’s returning to Libya under certain skills
- General Government debt improves to 39.2% of GDP as of end-2013
- Bureau of Customs opens over 1,000 job vacancies
- DOLE lists local job vacancies for OFW repatriates from crisis-stricken countries