Republic of the Philippines
DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT
A. Franciso Gold Condominium II EDSA cor. Mapagmahal St.,
Diliman, Quezon City
July 16, 2010
NO. 2010 – 63
|TO :||ALL PROVINCIAL GOVERNORS, CITY MAYORS, MUNICIPAL MAYORS, MEMBERS OF THE SANGGUNIANG PANLUNGSOD AND SANGGUNIAN BAYAN AND DILG REGIONAL DIRECTORS
|SUBJECT :||GUIDELINES FOR THE ELECTION OF PROVINCIAL FEDERATION, CITY CHAPTER AND REGIONAL COUNCIL OFFICERS, PHILIPPINE COUNCILORS LEAGUE|
Relative to the above-mentioned activity, indicated below are the schedule of the elections, composition of various committees on elections and related information.
Schedule of Elections
- Within 90 days upon assumption to office of the regularly elected members of the Sangguniang Panlungsod of component cities and Sangguniang Bayan component municipalities, all Provincial Federation Presidents, whether incumbent or interim by virtue of succession, shall convene all sanggunian members within their respective provinces to a meeting to elect from among themselves the Provincial Federation Officers.
- Within 90 days upon assumption to office of the regularly elected members of the Sangguniang Panlungsod of highly urbanized cities and independent component cities, all Chapter Presidents, whether incumbent or interim by virtue of succession, shall convene all sanggunian members within their respective cities to a meeting to elect from among themselves the City Chapter Officers.
- Within 90 days after the Provincial Federation and City Chapter Elections, all Regional Chairmen, whether incumbent or interim by virtue of succession, shall convene all the Provincial Federation Officers and City Chapter Officers to a meeting to elect from among themselves the Regional Council Officers.
Committees on Elections
Committees are to be organized at the Provincial, City and Regional levels. Committees shall be composed as follows:
- For the Provincial Federation Election, the DILG Provincial Director, or his duly authorized representative, as Chairman, and two (2) officers of the federation duly approved by the members who have no intention to run as Provincial Federation Officers, as Members. However, when no federation officers are qualified to sit as members as two (2) members of the committee shall be selected from among the general membership present.
- For the City Chapter Election, the DILG City Director, or his duly authorized representative, as Chairman, and two (2) officers of the Chapter duly approved by the members who have no intention to run as City Chapter Officers, as Members. However, when no city officers are qualified to sit as members, the two (2) members of the committee shall be selected from among the general membership present.
- For the Regional Council Election, the DILG Regional Director, or his duly authorized representative, as Chairman, and two (2) officers of the Regional Council approved by the members who have no intention to run as Regional Council Officers, as Members, However, when no Regional Council Officers are qualified to sit as members, the two (2) members of the committee shall be selected from among the federation officers present.
Responsibilities of the DILG Provincial and City Directors
The DILG Provincial Director or City Director shall:
- Set the date, time and venue of the Provincial Federation Election or City Chapter Election, unless set by the PCL National Board;
- Issue Notice of Invitation at least 15 calendar days prior to the date of the election to all councilors of component cities and municipalities within the province, or to all councilors of highly urbanized and independent component cities;
- Meet with a representative from PCL National Office for an election briefing, in the morning of the date of the election;
- Convene the Committee on Election, or COMELEC, to decide on the deadline of the filing of the Certificates of Candidacy. It is understood that the selection of the members of the COMELEC shall be the responsibility of the PCL National Office Representative;
- Cause the distribution of the Certificates of Candidacy;
- Designate two technical officers from the DILG Provincial Office or the DILG City Office, if available, to provide staff support to COMELEC. Otherwise, request staff support from the DILG Regional Office or from the Bureau of Local Government Supervision;
- Brief the participants on the Election Guidelines;
- Supervise the filing of duly accomplished Certificates of Candidacy;
- Announce the qualified candidate(s) for each elective position;
- Set a COMELEC HOUR. During this period, allot a three (3) minute-campaign speech for each candidate. An unchallenged candidate may not be allowed to speak during the COMELEC HOUR but may be allowed to speak during the proclamation of winners;
- Supervise and monitor the casting of votes;
- Conduct the counting and canvassing of votes;
- Arrest the canvassed results of the election; and
- Proclaim the winning candidates.
The conduct of the Regional Council Election is within the authority of the DILG Regional Directors. However, no Regional Council Election shall be held without first holding all Provincial Federation Elections within the region.
Other Election Guidelines
- In the election of the Regional Council Chairperson, the order of preference shall be the Provincial Federation Presidents or City Chapter Presidents followed by the Provincial Federation Vice-Presidents or City Chapter Vice-Presidents. In the event that none of the foregoing officers is willing to run for the said position, any officer of the Provincial Federation or City Chapter may be elected as Regional Council Chairperson. Provided, that during the council election there is a quorum as prescribed in the PCL Constitution and By-Laws.
- A member with an unsettled financial obligation with the league can vote, but is not qualified to be elected to any position at the provincial, city and regional levels.
- The presence of an authorized representative from the PCL National Office shall be a precondition in the conduct of the Provincial Federation, City Chapter and Regional Council Election.
- The manner of voting shall be by secret balloting or by any other means duly approved by the PCL National Board.
- Any election protest shall be resolved by the PCL National Board;
- Any Provincial Federation, City Chapter and Regional Council Election held prior to this Memorandum Circular shall be considered null and void.
The provisions of PCL Election Guidelines and Policy No. 98-15, as amended, insofar as they refer to the league elections shall be construed as integral parts of this Department Issuance.
For the information and guidance of all concerned.
JESSE M. ROBREDO
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Duterte orders sequestration of shabu lab
- Abella: Filipino-Americans support President Duterte
- President Duterte all set for official visit to Vietnam
- President Duterte says he’ll forge strong trade alliance with Chinese, Russian businesses
- President Duterte honors centenarians, recognizes child-friendly LGUs
- President Duterte set to visit Vietnam this week