Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda:
On the deaths of National Artist Edith Tiempo and Kerima Polotan Tuvera
[Released on August 21, 2011]
It is a sad weekend for the Philippine literary community as two of its most eminent elders, National Artist for Literature Edith L. Tiempo and renowned fictionist and essayist Kerima Polotan Tuvera, passed away within a day of each other. The Aquino administration is united in grief with a country that mourns their passing.
Many of the country’s established literary practitioners, as well as its most promising young talents, trace their lineage from the Silliman National Writers Workshop which Mrs. Tiempo established with her late husband. Among those who served as a pillar of the workshop was Mrs. Polotan Tuvera, whose own body of work has been widely recognized as crucial to the development of Philippine Literary Fiction written from English.
Both stalwarts have influenced generations of writers through their mentoring and through their own works, inspired countless others to tread the same path. We are certain that coming generations of Filipinos will likewise find a timeless vibrancy in the wealth that they contributed to our culture, our collective memory, and our nation’s story.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Statement: DSWD on the lowering of the minimum age of criminal responsibility
- Statement: DepEd on the shooting incident at PNHS
- Budget reforms highlighted in good governance meet
- Statement: The Deputy Presidential Spokesperson on the dismissal of the impeachment cases against the President
- Statement: The Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process on the draft Bangsamoro Basic Law
- Future of Philippine agriculture: DA’s farm mechanization program gives rise to innovative technologies