Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda:
On the deaths of National Artist Edith Tiempo and Kerima Polotan Tuvera
[Released on August 21, 2011]
It is a sad weekend for the Philippine literary community as two of its most eminent elders, National Artist for Literature Edith L. Tiempo and renowned fictionist and essayist Kerima Polotan Tuvera, passed away within a day of each other. The Aquino administration is united in grief with a country that mourns their passing.
Many of the country’s established literary practitioners, as well as its most promising young talents, trace their lineage from the Silliman National Writers Workshop which Mrs. Tiempo established with her late husband. Among those who served as a pillar of the workshop was Mrs. Polotan Tuvera, whose own body of work has been widely recognized as crucial to the development of Philippine Literary Fiction written from English.
Both stalwarts have influenced generations of writers through their mentoring and through their own works, inspired countless others to tread the same path. We are certain that coming generations of Filipinos will likewise find a timeless vibrancy in the wealth that they contributed to our culture, our collective memory, and our nation’s story.
Share on social media
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
More from the Briefing Room
- Paggugol na Matuwid 2015: Kung paano lahat ng reporma, nag-uugat sa badyet
- President Aquino advances 2015 Budget for inclusive growth
- Salient Points: 2015 Budget Message of President Aquino
- Kasambahay contract now available in 12 different local languages
- UNICEF’s unconditional cash grants to benefit Pantawid Pamilya families in E. Visayas
- Roxas secures freedom of 4 cops from NPA
- NPA to turn over four cops to DILG chief
- DOE chairs 2014 Consumer Welfare Month
- Statement: The Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process on the release of PNP personnel
- Message of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process on Eid’l Fitr
- Statement: The Secretary of Education on SONA 2014
- Statement: The Secretary of the Interior and Local Government on Janet Lim Napoles’ transfer to Bicutan