Profile read by Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda during the September 16, 2011 press briefing:
Justice Estela M. Perlas-Bernabe completed her Bachelor of Science in Commerce major in Banking and Finance magna cum laude at St. Paul College of Manila and earned her law degree from the Ateneo College of Law graduating as Class Salutatorian in 1976. She passed the bar examination in 1977 with a bar rating of 85.156%.
Prior to her appointment as Associate Justice of the Court of Appeals on March 9, 2004, Justice Perlas-Bernabe has served the Judiciary as Regional Trial Court Judge of Makati City from January 2000 to March 2004, Metropolitan Trial Court Judge of the same City from March 1996 to January 2000, and as Technical Assistant in the Office of the Court Administrator, Supreme Court of the Philippines from 1977 to 1979. She also worked in various private and government offices, namely, as Legal Assistant, Legal Department of China Banking Corporation (1979-1980); Senior Manager, Legal Department of Paramount Finance Corp. (1980-1987); Legal Manager and Corporate Secretary/ Legal Consultant of the National Home Mortgage and Finance Corp. (1990-1993); and Senior Partner of Bernabe Perlas Morte and Associates (1993-1996).
In 1999, she received the Best Written Decision Award for the Municipal/Metropolitan Trial Court Level given by the Philippine Women Judges Association. In October 2001, she represented the Philippine Judiciary as a scholar in the 5th International Workshop on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice held in Seoul, Korea, where she delivered reports on the ”Effective Administration of Criminal Justice” and ”Probation Law in the Philippines”. Moreover, in recognition of her exemplary service, Justice Berlas-Bernabe was given the distinction of ”Natatanging Babaeng Hukom” by the Municipality of Plaridel, Bulacan on March 3, 2003.
Born on May 14, 1952 in Plaridel, Bulacan, Justice Perlas-Bernabe is married to Atty. Ricardo C. Bernabe, Jr., a lawyer/ businessman from Malolos, Bulacan, with whom she has two children, Ericia and Ricardo III.
Share on social media
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
More from the Briefing Room
- DA Photo Release: Rebuilding efforts continue
- DBM: DAP did not deprive government employees their salaries, bonuses
- DepEd, NHA turn over 1,000 new classrooms to regions III, IV, NCR
- DOLE augments contingency team to assist in repatriation of OFWs from Libya
- DOH statement on the nation’s health
- Secretary Deles: Bangsamoro Basic Law to respect IP rights
- DOE supports the 2014 National Science and Technology Week
- DFA Statement: On Libya repatriation
- DOLE: Focused and comprehensive reintegration services await returning OFWs
- Agri-chief urges local hog producers to prep for the ASEAN free trade
- President Aquino advances 2015 Budget for inclusive growth
- Salient Points: 2015 Budget Message of President Aquino