A February 21, 2012 press release from the Department of Foreign Affairs
Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert F. Del Rosario received Vietnamese Deputy Foreign Minister Ho Xuan Son at the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on February 20 at the start of the inaugural meeting of the Joint Commission on Maritime and Ocean Cooperation (JCMOC).
Deputy Minister Ho arrived last February 19 as the head of the 16-member Vietnamese delegation to the 1st JCMOC held on February 20 at the DFA.
Foreign Affairs Undersecretary for Policy Erlinda F. Basilio headed the ten-member Philippine delegation.
The holding of the JCMOC at the Deputy Foreign Minister level was agreed during the 6th meeting of the Philippines-Vietnam from October 6 to 7, 2011.
The JCMOC will assume the work of the Joint Permanent Working Group on Maritime and Ocean Concerns (JPWG-MOC), continue discussions on the outstanding issues and identify new agenda items.
The transition of the JPWG-MOC to the JCMOC at the Vice Foreign Minister level was pursuant to the Philippines-Vietnam Action Plan 2011-2016, which aims to achieve a more responsive and effective mechanism for bilateral cooperation on the maritime and ocean concerns.
The 1st Philippine-Vietnam JCMOC discussed cooperative actions in the West Philippine Sea including the Philippine proposal for a Zone of Peace, Freedom, Friendship and Cooperation in the West Philippine Sea (WPS) and the establishment of a Code of Conduct in the WPS.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Statement: The Deputy Presidential Spokesperson on the week of January 26-30, 2015
- PNP holds necrological services for the 42 SAF members
- 1st meeting of Philippines-Viet Nam Joint Commission on concluding a Strategic Partnership held in Manila
- DOF-BLGF opens 197 positions to re-energize, reform local finance
- Joint statement of the GPH and MILF Peace Panels at the Special Meeting of the Panels in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- January 30, 2015, is a National Day of Mourning