An April 9, 2012 press release from the Department of Foreign Affairs
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced today that the Emir of the State of Qatar, His Highness Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani, will undertake a state visit to the Philippines on April 10 and 11, 2012, upon the invitation of President Benigno S. Aquino III.
This is the first-ever visit of a Qatari Emir to the country. The Philippines and Qatar have been enjoying a vibrant and dynamic partnership for 31 years.
The Emir is scheduled to meet with President Aquino and key Cabinet members to discuss ways to further enhance the relations between the two countries especially in the areas of labor, tourism, agriculture, trade, and investments.
“His Highness the Emir’s visit affirms the advancement of political and economic ties between the Philippines and Qatar. We are looking forward to discussing ways to achieve more positive growth in the realm of trade and investment and increasing opportunities for our Filipino workers,” Secretary of Foreign Affairs Albert del Rosario said.
The State of Qatar is one of the fastest growing economies in the world and is the richest country in terms of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) per capital. Qatar is host to an estimated 175,000 overseas Filipino workers.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Statement: The Secretary of Budget on the 6.4% 2014 Q2 GDP growth
- Statement: The Secretary of Finance on Q2 2014 GDP growth
- Dentist charged with tax evasion for underdeclaring service income
- Software and manufacturing companies charged with willful failure to pay tax
- DPWH starts bidding for 7km by-pass road segment in Bulacan
- Statement: Secretary Balisacan on the 2014 2nd quarter performance of the Philippine economy