An April 9, 2012 press release from the Department of Foreign Affairs
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced today that the Emir of the State of Qatar, His Highness Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani, will undertake a state visit to the Philippines on April 10 and 11, 2012, upon the invitation of President Benigno S. Aquino III.
This is the first-ever visit of a Qatari Emir to the country. The Philippines and Qatar have been enjoying a vibrant and dynamic partnership for 31 years.
The Emir is scheduled to meet with President Aquino and key Cabinet members to discuss ways to further enhance the relations between the two countries especially in the areas of labor, tourism, agriculture, trade, and investments.
“His Highness the Emir’s visit affirms the advancement of political and economic ties between the Philippines and Qatar. We are looking forward to discussing ways to achieve more positive growth in the realm of trade and investment and increasing opportunities for our Filipino workers,” Secretary of Foreign Affairs Albert del Rosario said.
The State of Qatar is one of the fastest growing economies in the world and is the richest country in terms of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) per capital. Qatar is host to an estimated 175,000 overseas Filipino workers.
Share on social media
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
More from the Briefing Room
- UNICEF’s unconditional cash grants to benefit Pantawid Pamilya families in E. Visayas
- Roxas secures freedom of 4 cops from NPA
- NPA to turn over four cops to DILG chief
- DOE chairs 2014 Consumer Welfare Month
- Statement: The Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process on the release of PNP personnel
- Message of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process on Eid’l Fitr
- Statement: The Secretary of Education on SONA 2014
- Statement: The Secretary of the Interior and Local Government on Janet Lim Napoles’ transfer to Bicutan
- BIR reminds importers and customs brokers of July 31 accreditation deadline
- DOE updates on power restoration after Typhoon Glenda as of July 25, 2014
- Statement: The Deputy Presidential Spokesperson on the week of July 21-25, 2014
- Decorated general assumes office as government ceasefire chief