An April 9, 2012 press release from the Department of Foreign Affairs
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced today that the Emir of the State of Qatar, His Highness Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani, will undertake a state visit to the Philippines on April 10 and 11, 2012, upon the invitation of President Benigno S. Aquino III.
This is the first-ever visit of a Qatari Emir to the country. The Philippines and Qatar have been enjoying a vibrant and dynamic partnership for 31 years.
The Emir is scheduled to meet with President Aquino and key Cabinet members to discuss ways to further enhance the relations between the two countries especially in the areas of labor, tourism, agriculture, trade, and investments.
“His Highness the Emir’s visit affirms the advancement of political and economic ties between the Philippines and Qatar. We are looking forward to discussing ways to achieve more positive growth in the realm of trade and investment and increasing opportunities for our Filipino workers,” Secretary of Foreign Affairs Albert del Rosario said.
The State of Qatar is one of the fastest growing economies in the world and is the richest country in terms of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) per capital. Qatar is host to an estimated 175,000 overseas Filipino workers.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- PH Embassy: Yemen still under Alert Level 2
- Statement: The Presidential Spokesperson on PH ranking in WEF Global Competitiveness Report 2014-2015
- Statement: The Deputy Presidential Spokesperson on a credit rating upgrade from NICE Investors Service Co. Ltd.
- Statement: DSWD on the lowering of the minimum age of criminal responsibility
- Statement: DepEd on the shooting incident at PNHS
- Budget reforms highlighted in good governance meet