An April 3, 2012 press release from the Department of Energy
The Department of Energy (DOE) wishes to assure the public, particularly the people of Luzon, that there will be no impending brownouts in the said region given the scheduled shutdown of the Malampaya gas plant for seven-day maintenance scheduled for July. The DOE already met with the National Power Corporation, the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines, and power generators to set up contingency plans that will keep stable the power supply situation in Luzon as the plants running on Malampaya gas can also run on alternate fuels. The DOE also notes that the shutdown is scheduled in the month wherein power demand will be lowest and other baseload facilities would have already completed their annual maintenance work. Rest assured that the DOE is closely monitoring the situation to ensure that the power supply will not be affected during the maintenance works.
Likewise, the DOE commends the Grid Management Committee under the Energy Regulatory Commission, the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines, and all power plants and distribution utilities for heeding the DOE’s call to come together to establish the annual Grid Operation and Maintenance Program. The program allows for better coordination and timing for regular maintenance works to ensure continued power supply, and ensures that there is proper scheduling of all planned activities in generation or transmission, guided by practices and structures set by industry players.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Palace Strongly Reiterates Call For Ceasefire
- Press Conference Of PCO Secretary Martin Andanar, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella And Socioeconomic Planning Secretary And Director General Of The National Economic And Development Authority Dr. Ernesto M. Pernia
- Press Conference of Sec. Andanar, Spokesperson Abella, Sec. Sueno and Commissioner Faeldon
- Press Conference of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (August 21, 2016)
- From The Office Of The Presidential Spokesperson On the UN executive to PH
- La Mesa Dam Alert #2