Secretary of Foreign Affairs Albert F. del Rosario:
On the Scarborough Shoal issue
[April 17, 2012]
The whole world knows that China has myriad more ships and aircraft than the Philippines. At day’s end, however, we hope to demonstrate that international law would be the great equalizer.
In pursuing a peaceful settlement of the Scarborough Shoal issue, we fully intend to humbly invite our Chinese friends to join us in the International Tribunal on the Law of the Sea (ITLOS).
The purpose of the exercise will be to ascertain which of us has sovereign rights over the waters surrounding Scarborough Shoal where Chinese ships are currently engaging in illegal activities within the Philippine Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Abiso para sa lahat ng Pilipino sa Yemen
- DOT, TPB, and MTV announce performers’ line-up for the first-ever MTV Music Evolution in Manila
- Palaro 2015 host sets benchmark for future Palarong Pambansa
- Commission on Appointments confirms new ambassadors
- DOLE lauds NMP for saving P6.5M in repair of training boat
- DPWH-NCR March 27-30 road repair