Secretary of Foreign Affairs Albert F. del Rosario:
On the Scarborough Shoal issue
[April 17, 2012]
The whole world knows that China has myriad more ships and aircraft than the Philippines. At day’s end, however, we hope to demonstrate that international law would be the great equalizer.
In pursuing a peaceful settlement of the Scarborough Shoal issue, we fully intend to humbly invite our Chinese friends to join us in the International Tribunal on the Law of the Sea (ITLOS).
The purpose of the exercise will be to ascertain which of us has sovereign rights over the waters surrounding Scarborough Shoal where Chinese ships are currently engaging in illegal activities within the Philippine Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- 5th Progress Report: Millennium Development Goals
- Arrears Management Teams (AMTs) collect over P2 billion
- DILG: CIDG paiigtingin ang pagtugis sa mga Most Wanted Persons
- NAIA toilets, airconditioning being improved
- Australian gov’t-funded program turns over 24 newly-rehabilitated classrooms in Sulu
- DepEd Learners’ Information System, information for greater access to education