An April 29, 2012 press release from the Department of Foreign Affairs
The Philippine consulate general in New York, official co-sponsor of the 2012 Tribeca Film Festival (TFF), celebrated with the Filipino filmmakers featured at the TFF during a cocktail reception last April 20 at the Kalayaan Hall of the Philippine Center, New York.
The event was attended by the producers and principal cast of the three featured films including director/writer Ron Morales and actors Arnold Reyes, Ella Guevarra, and Leon Miguel for the film Graceland; director/producer Ramona Diaz and subject Arnel Pineda for the film Don’t Stop Believin’: Everyman’s Journey; and director Miguel Calayan and prima ballerina Shannon Marie Roberts for the film Prima.
The consul general delivered his welcome remarks, and Ms. Paige Blake, Assistant Programmer for the TFF, presented each of the films. The program was kept brief as Graceland would be having its world premiere at 9:00 p.m. the same evening. Presently, Graceland and Don’t Stop Believin’: Everyman’s Journey are in the running for the Heineken Audience Award for the narrative and documentary categories, respectively. This same honor was won last year by another Filipino film, Give Up Tomorrow, by Marty Syjuco and Michael Collins.
The “Best of the Philippines on Fifth Avenue” project also celebrates the achievements of Filipino talents at the TFF, centered on the poster designed by graphic designer Troi Santos, and was set up with a number of “memorabilia” significant to each of the films. The window has drawn positive feedback from members of the community and passersby along Fifth Avenue, and has exhibited Filipino participation in the film festival.
The TFF is among the premier U.S. film platforms for independent United States and World Cinemas. It was founded by American actor Robert de Niro and Jane Rosenthal in response to the devastation brought by the 9/11 attacks in Lower Manhattan.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Message and Press Conference Of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte During The Welcoming Of Repatriated Overseas Filipino Workers From Al Khobar, Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia
- Press Conference of Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella (August 30, 2016)
- Media Interview with President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (August 29, 2016 at Malacañan)
- Media Interview with President Rodrigo Roa Duterte after the wake visit to PO1 Gary Cabaguing (August 29, 2016 at Bajada, Davao City)
- Press Conference by Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella (August 26, 2016)
- Media Interview with President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (August 25, 2016 at Poblacion District, Davao City)