An April 29, 2012 press release from the Department of Foreign Affairs
The Philippine consulate general in New York, official co-sponsor of the 2012 Tribeca Film Festival (TFF), celebrated with the Filipino filmmakers featured at the TFF during a cocktail reception last April 20 at the Kalayaan Hall of the Philippine Center, New York.
The event was attended by the producers and principal cast of the three featured films including director/writer Ron Morales and actors Arnold Reyes, Ella Guevarra, and Leon Miguel for the film Graceland; director/producer Ramona Diaz and subject Arnel Pineda for the film Don’t Stop Believin’: Everyman’s Journey; and director Miguel Calayan and prima ballerina Shannon Marie Roberts for the film Prima.
The consul general delivered his welcome remarks, and Ms. Paige Blake, Assistant Programmer for the TFF, presented each of the films. The program was kept brief as Graceland would be having its world premiere at 9:00 p.m. the same evening. Presently, Graceland and Don’t Stop Believin’: Everyman’s Journey are in the running for the Heineken Audience Award for the narrative and documentary categories, respectively. This same honor was won last year by another Filipino film, Give Up Tomorrow, by Marty Syjuco and Michael Collins.
The “Best of the Philippines on Fifth Avenue” project also celebrates the achievements of Filipino talents at the TFF, centered on the poster designed by graphic designer Troi Santos, and was set up with a number of “memorabilia” significant to each of the films. The window has drawn positive feedback from members of the community and passersby along Fifth Avenue, and has exhibited Filipino participation in the film festival.
The TFF is among the premier U.S. film platforms for independent United States and World Cinemas. It was founded by American actor Robert de Niro and Jane Rosenthal in response to the devastation brought by the 9/11 attacks in Lower Manhattan.
Share on social media
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
More from the Briefing Room
- President Aquino advances 2015 Budget for inclusive growth
- Salient Points: 2015 Budget Message of President Aquino
- Kasambahay contract now available in 12 different local languages
- UNICEF’s unconditional cash grants to benefit Pantawid Pamilya families in E. Visayas
- Roxas secures freedom of 4 cops from NPA
- NPA to turn over four cops to DILG chief
- DOE chairs 2014 Consumer Welfare Month
- Statement: The Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process on the release of PNP personnel
- Message of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process on Eid’l Fitr
- Statement: The Secretary of Education on SONA 2014
- Statement: The Secretary of the Interior and Local Government on Janet Lim Napoles’ transfer to Bicutan
- BIR reminds importers and customs brokers of July 31 accreditation deadline