A July 19, 2012 press release from the Department of Foreign Affairs
The Philippine Mission in Geneva continues to take the lead in fighting human trafficking in the multilateral arena.
On the sidelines of the 20th Session of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in June this year, Philippine Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Ambassador Evan P. Garcia, met with the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Trafficking in Persons, Ms. Joy Ngozi Ezeilo, to prepare for the latter’s country visit to the Philippines.
Ms. Ezeilo is set to visit the Philippines this November to observe the country’s drive to combat the menace of trafficking. She will also learn of the best practices adopted by the Philippines, including the trafficking prevention programs the government is implementing for Filipinos wanting to go abroad to work.
Related to this, on June 25, 2012, the Philippine Mission also organized jointly with the United States and the German Missions a forum on trafficking in persons with a focus on effective partnership between governments and non-governmental organizations. This was held at the UN Headquarters in Geneva.
Department of Justice Prosecutor Darlene Pajarito and Atty. Sam Innocencio of the Philippine-based non-government organization (NGO), International Justice Mission, presented Philippine perspectives in that forum. Forum speakers shared their experiences with several country representatives on closer cooperation between governments and the NGOs to effectively prevent trafficking, assist victims, and prosecute criminals.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Palace Strongly Reiterates Call For Ceasefire
- Press Conference Of PCO Secretary Martin Andanar, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella And Socioeconomic Planning Secretary And Director General Of The National Economic And Development Authority Dr. Ernesto M. Pernia
- Press Conference of Sec. Andanar, Spokesperson Abella, Sec. Sueno and Commissioner Faeldon
- Press Conference of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (August 21, 2016)
- From The Office Of The Presidential Spokesperson On the UN executive to PH
- La Mesa Dam Alert #2