Statement of Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda:
On the new Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines
[August 24, 2012]
In the midst of this period of deep mourning for the loss of Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo, the President is cognizant of his constitutional duty to appoint the next Chief Justice of the Philippines. He has therefore decided to appoint Associate Justice Maria Lourdes Punzalan Aranal-Sereno as the 24th Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
The President is confident that Chief Justice Sereno will lead the judiciary in undertaking much-needed reforms. We believe the Judicial Branch of government has a historic opportunity to restore our people’s confidence in the judicial system.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Statement: The Secretary of Health on the Anti-retroviral Drugs for AIDS/HIV being held at Port Area
- Statement: The Secretary of Finance on WEF’s latest Global Competitiveness Report
- DOLE: National Productivity Convention on October 16
- Certified Geologist Licensure Examination results
- DepEd lauds 2014 Ramon Magsaysay awardee teacher of indigenous peoples
- DSWD receives additional donation for Yolanda survivors