Statement of Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda:
On the new Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines
[August 24, 2012]
In the midst of this period of deep mourning for the loss of Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo, the President is cognizant of his constitutional duty to appoint the next Chief Justice of the Philippines. He has therefore decided to appoint Associate Justice Maria Lourdes Punzalan Aranal-Sereno as the 24th Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
The President is confident that Chief Justice Sereno will lead the judiciary in undertaking much-needed reforms. We believe the Judicial Branch of government has a historic opportunity to restore our people’s confidence in the judicial system.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Transcript of the NDRRMC press briefing on April 1, 2015
- AFP on red alert status for Typhoon Chedeng
- DILG to LGUs and PNP: Protect your people and guests
- Filipinos participate in 2015 World Wood Day in Turkey
- DOLE assists 20 Filipino seafarers stranded in New South Wales
- DOLE appeals to OFWs remaining in Yemen to cooperate in mandatory repatriation