On December 18, 2012, President Benigno S. Aquino III appointed Alan La Madrid Purisima as Director General of the Philippine National Police.
Director Purisima was born on November 21, 1959. He grew up in San Ildefonso, Ilocos Sur. He is married to Mrs. Maria Ramona Lydia Isidoro Purisima, with whom he has four sons.
Director General Purisima is a product of the public school system. After graduating high school, he enrolled in the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) in 1977. He was part of DIMALUPIG Class 1981. After his graduation from the PMA, he joined the Philippine Constabulary. He earned a Masters of Public Administration degree from Manuel L. Quezon University in 1995.
He also attended foreign training programs and conferences, among them:
- International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) Conference – 2011 in Chicago, Illinois, United States.
- 30th ASEANAPOL Conference – 2010 in Cambodia
- Senior Crisis Management Seminar, conducted by the US Office of Anti-Terrorism Assistance – 2010 in Maryland, Washington, United States.
- Police Administration and Crime Investigation – 2010 in Tokyo, Japan
- Critical Incident Management Course at the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) – 2004 at Louisiana, United States.
- Arson Investigation Course and Post Blast Investigation Course – 1987 at the Louisiana State Police Training Academy, United States.
- Protective Operations Course and Defensive Marksmanship Course, conducted by the Special Training Group, U.S. Government – 1986.
Director General Purisima has received several awards and commendations as a member of the Philippine Constabulary and Philippine National Police:
- Distinguished Conduct Star
- Cavalier Award for Police Operations in 2003
- Award of the Presidential Unit Citation Badge
- Disaster Relief and Rehabilitation Medal
- Anti-Dissident Campaign Medal
- Medalyang Pagtulong sa Nasalanta
On February 2012, he was bestowed the Cavalier Award for Command and Administration—a rare accomplishment, as few PMA Alumni are conferred awards for both in the field of Police Operation and in Command and Administration.
He was awarded the Bayaning Likas (BaKas) Parangal on September 12, 2012, at Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City, for his initiatives in assisting the victims of the southwest monsoon that caused major havoc in Metro Manila on August 2012.
Among the key posts Director General Purisima has held: Team Leader of the Task Force CABNEC in San Jose City, Nueva Ecija, in 1981; Officer-in-Charge of the Porac Detachments, 583 PC Company, Pampanga in 1982; and Intelligence Officer in Nueva Ecija PC/INP in 1986. In 1987, he served as the Intelligence Officer/Commanding Officer of the Presidential Group of the Presidential Security Group (PSG), and later on as the Executive Officer of the Special Reaction Unit (SRU) of the PSG from 1988 to 1989. A year after, he was assigned as the Operations Officer of the PC Special Action Force (SAF) in Camp Bagong Diwa, Taguig for two years, holding this position until 1991.
In 1992, he was assigned as the Intelligence Officer of Pangasinan PNP Command. In the same year, he became the Commanding Officer of the 151st PNP Mobile Force Company, Pangasinan. From 1995 to 1996, he was assigned as the Chief, District Police Investigation Unit (DPIU), Western Police District Command (WPDC) of Manila; Chief of the Regional Intelligence and Investigation Division (RIID)/Task Force Gagamba of the NCRPO from 1997 to 1998; and as the Operations Officer of Quezon City Police District (QCPD), Quezon City from 1998 to 1999. He continued to serve the city as the Station Commander of Police Station 3, QCPD, Talipapa Police Station and Cubao Police Station 7 from 2000 to 2001.
In the following years, he led the Luzon Task Group and Luzon Area Office of Special Task Group (STAG), OTDCA, PNP in Camp Crame from 2001 to 2002; and later as the Chief of Police Anti-Crime and Emergency Response (PACER) from 2002 to 2003 and became the head of the PACER Chief of the National Anti-Kidnapping Task Force (NAKTAF) Strike Force/PACER from 2003 to 2005.
From 2005 to 2007, he served as the Provincial Director of Pangasinan PPO, and later as Task Force Commander of TF Anti-Private Armed Groups (PAGs) in Camp Crame. He was then assigned Chief Directorial Staff of the Civil Security Group, from 2007 to 2008. He was Executive Officer/Deputy Director of the Directorate for Investigation and Detective Management (DIDM) from 2008 to 2010.
During his stint at the DIDM, he oversaw the enhancement of the country’s crime reporting system, primarily through the implementation of the Unit Crime Periodic Report (UCPER). He also spearheaded the Technical Working Group (TWG) tasked with revising the PNP Criminal Investigation Manual, and authored the revision of criminal investigation course with various specializations. After two years in DIDM, on July 30, 2010, he was appointed PRO3 as its Regional Director.
On May 2, 2011, he was assigned to lead the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) as its Regional Director. As the Regional Director of NCRPO he introduced “Individual Performance” as the key to the success of the entire organization. He and his team established the three-pronged approach: Service to the People, Service to the Community, and Service to Fellow Police Officers. As Director of the NCRPO he started the “Subukan N’yo Po Kami”SMS platform, which encouraged the participation of the community in crime reporting and providing information for criminal investigations. He was appointed Police Deputy Director General On October 29, 2012.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- DPWH project briefer: Flood management master plan for Metro Manila and surrounding areas
- LightEd PH campaign aims to improve learning for underprivileged students
- Government supports study for rapid, cost effective detection of Salmonella in meat products
- DPWH-NCR road repair schedule for July 31-August 3
- Photo release: NEDA participates in metro-wide simultaneous earthquake drill
- Six Mindanao provinces top national competitiveness ranking