Statement of Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte:
On the Responsible Parenthood and Reproductive Health Act of 2012
[December 29, 2012]
Today, Republic Act No. 10354, or the Responsible Parenthood and Reproductive Health Act of 2012, has been published online in the Official Gazette, after being signed by President Aquino on December 21, 2012. The law will take effect 15 days after its publication in at least two newspapers of general circulation.
The passage into law of the Responsible Parenthood Act closes a highly divisive chapter of our history—a chapter borne of the convictions of those who argued for, or against this Act, whether in the legislative branch or in civil society. At the same time, it opens the possibility of cooperation and reconciliation among different sectors in society: engagement and dialogue characterized not by animosity, but by our collective desire to better the welfare of the Filipino people.
This is the mark of a true democracy: one in which debate that spans all levels of society is spurred by deeply-held beliefs and values, enriching and elevating public discourse, as we all work together to find ways to improve the lives of our fellow citizens.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- DSWD promotes children’s participation in this year’s Children’s Month
- DOH extends measles-rubella-polio campaign until October 10
- Budget of state universities and colleges up by P5.2B in 2015
- DILG chief urges reformists to rally behind Bangsamoro Law
- Albay forestry officers on high alert for potential wildfires on Mayon eruption
- Sec. Baldoz advises OFWs in HK to be mindful of their safety