Statement of the Department of Tourism:
On ICAO’s officially lifting the significant safety concerns in the PHL
[Released on March 5, 2013]
The Department of Tourism (DOT) is elated over the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) report lifting the Significant Safety Concerns (SSCs) it had previously cited as requiring immediate corrective action to upgrade standards in aviation safety in the Philippines. This is one of the crucial steps that will lead to increased flights to and from the Philippines—allowing local carriers to mount flights to long-haul markets such as the US and Europe, and foreign and local tourists to travel domestically with even greater confidence. This development will certainly make the country more competitive and will contribute tremendously in achieving the tourism sector’s target of 10 million international visitors by 2016.
Now that opportunities and the global spotlight are shifting to our side of the world, we must continue to build on this momentum by implementing key reforms that would push and sustain the country’s growth. The government’s active response towards resolving the identified deficiencies is a clear commitment to ensuring that travel to and within the country becomes truly more fun.
We, therefore, thank Director General William Hotchkiss III and his entire team for the painstaking reforms they have instituted in the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP). We also congratulate Transportation Secretary Jun Abaya, as well as Former DOTC now DILG Secretary Mar Roxas, for their tireless efforts in boosting the image of the Philippines as a safe and enjoyable tourism destination.
Share on social media
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
More from the Briefing Room
- Paggugol na Matuwid 2015: Nag-uugat sa badyet ang lahat ng reporma
- DOLE: OFWs in Libya can leave even without exit visas
- Statement: DFA on the PH proposal “Triple Action Plan”
- PH joins Yokohama Sparkling Twilight 2014
- PH featured in 2 popular Korean TV networks
- Hyundai Engineering & Construction considers PH a “competitive location for investors”
- DOH: Philippines is still Ebola-free
- Statement: The Presidential Spokesperson on the 5th death anniversary of President Corazon C. Aquino
- Overeseas Voter Registration Center is open at the Commission on Filipinos Overseas
- DFA Tacloban resumes operations, extends passport releasing to September 30, 2014
- DOH-MIMAROPA prioritizes health programs for PWD in the region
- Statement: Secretary Roxas on the capture of Said Giad alias “Maestro”