From the Department of Social Welfare and Development
Secretary of Social Welfare and Development Dinky Soliman ordered the DSWD Region IX Quick Response Team to closely monitor the situation and coordinate with the Office of Zamboanga City Mayor Isabelle Climaco-Salazar for any augmentation assistance to families displaced by the on-going armed conflict between the military and the members of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) in Barangay Sta. Catalina, Zamboanga City.
Secretary Soliman said the DSWD FO IX is preparing ready-to-eat meals for some 912 individuals who are staying in the different evacuation centers.
The evacuees are now temporary staying in Tetuan Church (292 persons), Tetuan Central School (220 persons), Zamboanga Capitol Grandstand (200 persons), Mampang Elementary School (70 persons), Talon-talon National High School (60 persons), Mariki Elementary School (60 persons) and DSWD Regional Office IX (10 persons).
The DSWD Region IX has P393,406.09 available standby funds and 1,693 family packs ready to augment resources of concerned local government units. Secretary Soliman has also instructed to download an additional P500,000.00 to augment the existing standby funds of DSWD Region IX.
In her report to Secretary Soliman, DSWD Regional Director Zenaida Arevalo said that the DSWD Youth Hostel in Sta. Barbara is being used as military/police outpost. Director Arevalo, however, assured that the staff and clients of the center are safe.
Director Arevalo added that a crisis management meeting is being organized by Mayor Salazar.
Share on social media
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
More from the Briefing Room
- [English] Benigno S. Aquino III, fifth State of the Nation Address, July 28, 2014
- BIR reminds importers and customs brokers of July 31 accreditation deadline
- DOE updates on power restoration after Typhoon Glenda as of July 25, 2014
- Statement: The Deputy Presidential Spokesperson on the week of July 21-25, 2014
- Decorated general assumes office as government ceasefire chief
- DepEd is committed to enhancing the quality of basic education
- DILG to relocate informal settlers to safer communities
- DOH recognizes Typhoon Yolanda heroes
- POEA allows exemptions for OFW’s returning to Libya under certain skills
- General Government debt improves to 39.2% of GDP as of end-2013
- Bureau of Customs opens over 1,000 job vacancies
- DOLE lists local job vacancies for OFW repatriates from crisis-stricken countries