The Department of Social Welfare and Development team in Tacloban established a free satellite internet service in front of Tacloban City Hall on November 9, 2013, to help Taclobanons get in contact with their loved ones. As of 12:00 noon today, November 12, the DSWD satellite internet service has served 3,400 persons–including members of media and non-government organizations (NGOs).
Also on November 9, the Armed Forces of the Philippines deployed communications systems in three cities in Visayas. A communications cell was established in Tacloban City Police Station and the Base Ops, Villamore Air Base, earlier to augment communication requirements for Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Response operations. Two more cells will be established in Roxas City, Capiz, and Mactan City, Cebu, in order to monitor rescue and relief efforts.
GLOBE telecommunications services were restored in Tacloban City on Monday, November 11, 2013. SMART and SUN Cellular telecommunications services were also restored soon after. The DSWD Operations Center in City Hall is providing free phone charging services to all Taclobanons.
For a full list of areas in which telecommunications services have been restored, as well as where these companies have established Libreng Tawag services, please refer to their social media accounts and pages:
Twitter: @enjoyGLOBE, @SMARTCares
Based on the NDRRMC Situation Report on the effects of Typhoon Yolanda (as of 6:00AM), communications interruptions still remain in the following areas: Aklan, Antique, Capiz, Cebu (Municipalities of Northern Cebu, Bogo City), Biliran, Leyte, Southern Leyte, Samar, Northern Samar, Eastern Samar, and Surigao del Norte (Municipality of Bacuag).
At 8:43 a.m. on November 12, one generator set (Smart Communications) were transported by the AFP to Tacloban City.
Share on social media
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
More from the Briefing Room
- DOLE: Focused and comprehensive reintegration services await returning OFWs
- Agri-chief urges local hog producers to prep for the ASEAN free trade
- President Aquino advances 2015 Budget for inclusive growth
- Salient Points: 2015 Budget Message of President Aquino
- Kasambahay contract now available in 12 different local languages
- UNICEF’s unconditional cash grants to benefit Pantawid Pamilya families in E. Visayas
- DOLE’s PRC reschedules licensure examinations for teachers, physicians, and sanitary engineers
- Roxas secures freedom of 4 cops from NPA
- NPA to turn over four cops to DILG chief
- DOE chairs 2014 Consumer Welfare Month
- Statement: The Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process on the release of PNP personnel
- Message of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process on Eid’l Fitr