From the Department of Education
Private high schools and other non-Department of Education (DepEd) schools that wish to offer senior high school (SHS) under the K to 12 Basic Education Program may refer to the guidelines sent out recently by DepEd.
The guidelines are for the national implementation of the senior high school program in non-DepEd schools starting school year 2016-2017 and onwards under Republic Act No. 10533 or the Enhanced Basic Education Act of 2013. SHS (grades 11 and 12) allows students to choose among four tracks—Academic, Technical-Vocational-Livelihood, Sports, and Arts & Design—which are designed to help learners prepare for higher education, employment, or entrepreneurship.
Secretary of Education Armin Luistro said the release of the guidelines is pursuant to Section 30 of the Implementing Rules and Regulations of RA 10533.“We are sending out these guidelines to help interested private institutions that wish to be a part of this innovative thrust to upgrade Philippine basic education,” he added.
DepEd Memo No. 4 series of 2014 has identified 3 categories for institutions which may wish to offer senior high school.
Category A pertains to private schools recognized by DepEd to offer secondary education (Year I- IV) and private schools that have been granted at least Level II accreditation by any accrediting agencies of the Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines (FAAP).
Category B refers to non-DepEd schools that have been issued permits by the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) to offer any training courses or by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) to offer any higher education program. This category also includes schools that have been granted at least Level II accreditation by any accrediting agencies of the FAAP. Also under this category are other non-DepEd schools which have been granted at least Bronze accreditation status by the Asia Pacific Accreditation and Certification Commission.
Category C includes other individuals, corporations, foundations and organizations recognized by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Application to offer SHS will only be accepted by email at [email protected] addressed to the DepEd Secretary. A copy of the application [EIU1] should also be sent to the office of the concerned DepEd regional director on or before April 15, 2014.
More information can be obtained from the K to 12 Secretariat at telephone numbers 631-5057 and 638-3703 or email at [email protected].
Share on social media
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
More from the Briefing Room
- DA Photo Release: Rebuilding efforts continue
- DBM: DAP did not deprive government employees their salaries, bonuses
- DepEd, NHA turn over 1,000 new classrooms to regions III, IV, NCR
- DOLE augments contingency team to assist in repatriation of OFWs from Libya
- DOH statement on the nation’s health
- Secretary Deles: Bangsamoro Basic Law to respect IP rights
- DOE supports the 2014 National Science and Technology Week
- DFA Statement: On Libya repatriation
- DOLE: Focused and comprehensive reintegration services await returning OFWs
- Agri-chief urges local hog producers to prep for the ASEAN free trade
- President Aquino advances 2015 Budget for inclusive growth
- Salient Points: 2015 Budget Message of President Aquino