From the Department of Tourism
On February 8, 2014, at 4:40 a.m., Manila time, exactly three months after Typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines, the country launched a global campaign expressing its gratitude to the world, having received an outpouring of support following the devastating effects of the typhoon.
Triggered by an overwhelming sense of appreciation, which has been strongly expressed in social media—for example, #PHthankyou, this groundswell of gratitude is captured in a Thank You campaign created by Filipinos from all over the world. Depicting different ways of expressing their heartfelt appreciation, various messages and images in social media showed the world that foreign support and encouragement has made, and continues to make, all the difference in the country’s ongoing rehabilitation and rebuilding efforts.
Hoping to ensure gratitude is received by everyone, the Philippine Department of Tourism has crafted a thank you message displayed through print ads and billboards in iconic places across the world, specifically:
- Times Square, New York, U.S.
– Piccadilly Circus, London, U.K.
– Potsdamer Platz cor. Leipziger Platz, Berlin, Germany
– Lafayette Mogador, Paris, France
– Shibuya Crossing, Tokyo, Japan
– ION Orchard, Singapore
– Yonge-Dundas Square, Toronto, Canada
– Darlinghurst, Sydney, Australia
– Paiknam Building, Jung-gu, Seoul, Korea
All the people across the globe who have expressed sympathies and who have extended support, financial or otherwise, are invited to witness this message of appreciation from the Philippines and help share the country’s profound gratitude to the rest of the world. Using the hashtag #PHthankyou, people around the world can continue to share their support and appreciation.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- APEC 101: Imagine the Possibilities Information Roadshow kicks-off at Xavier University, Cagayan de Oro
- Revenue Integrity Protection Service performance at all-time high
- GPH chief negotiator: Peaceful Scottish referendum provides lessons for PH
- DepEd strengthens disaster response, equips DRRM nationwide
- PH and Spain sign MOU on Madrid Fusion – Manila 2015
- Statement: The Deputy Presidential Spokesperson on the week of September 22-26, 2014