From the Department of Social Welfare and Development
Secretary of Social Welfare and Development Corazon Juliano-Soliman announced today that 1,455 family-survivors of Yolanda have already transferred to 60 bunkhouses built by the government in Eastern Visayas.
Of these, 222 families are in Tacloban City; 81 families in Palo, Leyte; 429 families in Ormoc City; 50 families in Basey, Samar; and, 673 families in Eastern Samar.
“DSWD continues to coordinate its efforts on shelter with other government agencies, local government units and non-government organisations,” Secretary Soliman said.
Secretary Soliman emphasized that houses identified to be within 40 meters from the shoreline will no longer be allowed to be rebuilt in the same area.
Ermelita Ibabao, 39, a mother of two from Calubian, Barangay 88, said she is very grateful that they received a unit in the bunkhouse.
“Mas maayos po ang kalagayan namin dito sa bunkhouse kumpara sa tents na pinanggalingan namin pagkatapos ng Yolanda. Unti-unting umaayos din po ang buhay namin dito,” Ermelita said.
According to Ermilita, they have received food packs and other non-food items before they transferred to the bunkhouse.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Palace Strongly Reiterates Call For Ceasefire
- Press Conference Of PCO Secretary Martin Andanar, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella And Socioeconomic Planning Secretary And Director General Of The National Economic And Development Authority Dr. Ernesto M. Pernia
- Press Conference of Sec. Andanar, Spokesperson Abella, Sec. Sueno and Commissioner Faeldon
- Press Conference of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (August 21, 2016)
- From The Office Of The Presidential Spokesperson On the UN executive to PH
- La Mesa Dam Alert #2