From the Department of Education
Top Department of Education (DepEd) officials met in Bay, Laguna, Wednesday to finalize details of the 2014 Palarong Pambansa (National Games) to be held on May 4-10 in Sta Cruz, Laguna. Among the items discussed are logistical requirements for regional delegates such as food and billeting quarters.
“I am reminding everyone to be sensitive to cultural and religious needs as this is a national event,” Education Secretary Br Armin Luistro FSC said. “Halal food, for example, must be made available to those who require it. “
The Palaro will be participated in by almost 10,000 athletes from 17 regions, who will stay in Laguna for around one week. The student athletes will be billeted in public schools near the venue, which were inspected Wednesday by the directors and sports coordinators of each region. The schools will be upgraded with the help of the host local government unit (LGU).
“The usual improvements that our schools undergo for Palaro are the installation of screens in classroom windows as well as a renovation of the bathroom facilities,” Assistant Secretary Tonisito Umali, Palarong Pambansa Secretary General, explained. “For schools in the host province, this is a quick ‘Brigada Eskwela’ that results in an upgrade of their physical facilities.”
Luistro, meanwhile, reminded coaches and chaperones about the DepEd’s Child Protection Policy: “From the time they leave your province, through Palaro, and until they return they are under our care. Make sure that an adult is always present to supervise them,” adding that any decision regional officials make must take into consideration the welfare of the students, especially the younger ones.
The DepEd Secretary also asked everyone to continue the “Clean as you go” and garbage segregation policy for delegates. “Leave the host school cleaner than when you arrived.”
Palarong Pambansa is an annual event showcasing and promoting sportsmanship of Filipino learners. In May 2013, President Benigno Aquino III signed Republic Act No. 10588 or Palarong Pambansa Law institutionalizing the said event. This year’s Palaro is the first Palarong Pambansa under RA 10588.
Share on social media
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
More from the Briefing Room
- President Aquino advances 2015 Budget for inclusive growth
- Salient Points: 2015 Budget Message of President Aquino
- Kasambahay contract now available in 12 different local languages
- UNICEF’s unconditional cash grants to benefit Pantawid Pamilya families in E. Visayas
- Roxas secures freedom of 4 cops from NPA
- NPA to turn over four cops to DILG chief
- DOE chairs 2014 Consumer Welfare Month
- Statement: The Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process on the release of PNP personnel
- Message of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process on Eid’l Fitr
- Statement: The Secretary of Education on SONA 2014
- Statement: The Secretary of the Interior and Local Government on Janet Lim Napoles’ transfer to Bicutan
- BIR reminds importers and customs brokers of July 31 accreditation deadline