[PLEASE NOTE: The Official Gazette has created a new, more extensive page on Philippine Republic Day. You may access it through this link]
Philippine Republic Day commemorates the official recognition of Philippine independence by the United States of America, and the inauguration of Manuel Roxas as the first president of the 3rd Republic of the Philippines. It also celebrates Philippine-American relations, and falls on the same day as American Independence Day.
July 4 was celebrated as Philippine Independence Day until 1962. Diosdado Macapagal by virtue of Proclamation No. 28 dated May 12, 1962, moved the holiday to June 12 in order to commemorate the date of General Emilio Aguinaldo’s proclamation of Philippine independence from Spain in 1898. Macapagal’s Proclamation was enacted into law by the Congress of the Philippines on August 4, 1964, by virtue of Republic Act No. 4166, which established July 4 as Republic Day to commemorate the foundation of the modern Republic of the Philippines, which gained international recognition on that day, 65 years ago.
Stay up to date with your government.Subscribe Now
Stay up to date with your government.
Subscribe to Daylight, a weekly newsletter that features good news about the Philippines and Filipinos.
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click through to confirm your subscription.×
Share on social media
More from the Briefing Room
- Message and Press Conference Of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte During The Welcoming Of Repatriated Overseas Filipino Workers From Al Khobar, Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia
- Press Conference of Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella (August 30, 2016)
- Media Interview with President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (August 29, 2016 at Malacañan)
- Media Interview with President Rodrigo Roa Duterte after the wake visit to PO1 Gary Cabaguing (August 29, 2016 at Bajada, Davao City)
- Press Conference by Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella (August 26, 2016)
- Media Interview with President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (August 25, 2016 at Poblacion District, Davao City)