All employees who are or ought to be covered by the Social Security System (SSS), provided that actual membership in the SSS shall not be a condition precedent to the mandatory coverage in the Fund. It shall include, but are not limited to:
- A private employee, whether permanent, temporary, or provisional who is not over sixty (60) years old;
- A household helper earning at least P1,000.00 a month. A household helper is any person who renders domestic services exclusively to a household such as a driver, gardener, cook, governess, and other similar occupations;
- A Filipino seafarer upon the signing of the standard contract of employment between the seafarer and the manning agency, which together with the foreign ship owner, acts as the employer;
- A self-employed person regardless of trade, business or occupation, with an income of at least P1,000.00 a month and not over sixty (60) years old;
- An expatriate who is not more than sixty (60) years old and is compulsorily covered by the Social Security System (SSS), regardless of citizenship, nature and duration of employment, and the manner by which the compensation is paid. In the absence of an explicit exemption from SSS coverage, the said expatriate, upon assumption of office, shall be covered by the Fund.
- An expatriate shall refer to a citizen of another country who is living and working in the Philippines.
- All employees who are subject to mandatory coverage by the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS), regardless of their status of appointment, including members of the judiciary and constitutional commissions;
- Uniformed members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, the Bureau of Fire Protection, the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology, and the Philippine National Police;
- Filipinos employed by foreign-based employers, whether they are deployed here or abroad or a combination thereof.
An individual at least 18 years old but not more than 65 years old may register with the Fund under voluntary membership. However, the said individual shall be required to comply with the set of rules and regulations for Pag-IBIG members including the amount of contribution and schedule of payment. In addition, they shall be subject to the eligibility requirements in the event of availment of loans and other programs/benefits offered by the Fund.
The following shall be allowed to apply for voluntary membership:
- Non-working spouses who devote full time to managing the household and family affairs, unless they also engage in another vocation or employment which is subject to mandatory coverage, provided the employed spouse is a registered Pag-IBIG member and consents to the Fund membership of the non-working spouse;
- Filipino employees of foreign government or international organization, or their wholly-owned instrumentality based in the Philippines, in the absence of an administrative agreement with the Fund;
- Employees of an employer who is granted a waiver or suspension of coverage by the Fund under RA 9679;
- Leaders and members of religious groups;
- A member separated from employment, local or abroad, or ceased to be self-employed but would like to continue paying his/her personal contribution. Such member may be a pensioner, investor, or any other individual with passive income or allowances;
- Public officials or employees who are not covered by the GSIS such as Barangay Officials, including Barangay Chairmen, Barangay Council Members, Chairmen of the Barangay Sangguniang Kabataan, and Barangay Secretaries and Treasurers;
- Such other earning individuals/groups as may be determined by the Board by rules and regulations.